Dr. Bonnie Seecharran, one of our outstanding Board Certified Cardiologists, points to these signs of potentially clogged arteries:
1) Angina (discomfort or pain within the center of the chest);
2) Difficulty breathing (if your heart is not receiving an adequate supply of blood, fluid can begin to build up within your lungs and cause significant breathing problems);
3) Nausea (additional gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal pain or vomiting can also occur);
4) Dizziness (a blocked artery within the heart prevents oxygenated blood from reaching the brain);
5) Irregular heartbeat (if your heart is not receiving enough blood due to the blockage, it will start pumping faster to try to bring more blood into the heart).
(Published July 31, 2014)